1. Please include a way to disable DOF while in conversation. There is an unnecessary amount of blur during conversations and if other NPC conversation mods are installed (such as Personality Idles Modified or Dialogue Idles), situations can arise where the NPC moves out of the camera's focus and we can't do anything about it.
2. There is a severe amount of lighting flicker while swimming. As the character's head bobs up and down, it seems to pass above and below the water plane which causes several shaders to flick on and off, causing the whole screen to flicker. Is there any way to have the character's head raised by 6 inches while swimming?
Last Edit: Apr 19, 2020 19:25:30 GMT 1 by nerevarine
Oh here's another one: hysteresis on the DOF. Sometimes it's cool seeing frame-by-frame focus adaptation to really dynamic scenes, but most of the time it's just seizure-inducing as the entire screen flickers as you look over some leaves. It would be neat if there was a configurable DOF adaptation speed.
Post by malautomedonte on Apr 21, 2020 18:32:54 GMT 1
- I'd definitely like to get good looking and decently working shadows for interiors which not cripple performance (asking too much?)
- Fixes to some surfaces like hair and hay rooftops which flicker from dark to extremely bright when a light source is nearby by night. Same applies to some kind of vegetation like plants and grass. That is probably a problem related to some shader not working properly?
- Some kind of smart management for far LOD meshes, for people who use mods like RAEVWD and similar, allowing the game to run better.
Yeah lots of people have requested interior shadows, I look forwards to that day.
The lighting problem is known, I posted a thread about it in Technical Support but it hasn't got as much traction as the floating polygons thread. I've posted a few picture and video examples but I think mostly everybody is familiar with it but has no solution.
The LOD management you're thinking of is generally considered part of the bigger problem called "bounding volume occlusion" , clipping, or culling. It's a graphics processing effect where objects behind other objects aren't drawn, as well as objects outside of your field of view. This would allow very long LOD draw distances because of a freed up polygon count as well as dynamically not drawing the LOD when it's behind a lot of trees or buildings for example, improving FPS in many places. See the mod No Unecessary FaceGen for a demonstration limited to NPCs: www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/49977
According to Alanet the clipping-related INI settings apparently don't affect the number of draw calls the game makes meaning it *technically shouldn't* be working, however I have found that the bEnableBoundingVolumeOcclusion and bDisplayBoundingVolumes settings produce a small amount of object pop-in as well as about a 12% difference in FPS. It definitely isn't doing a very good job though, it would be nice if we could have real and effective display culling.
Last Edit: Apr 21, 2020 20:20:16 GMT 1 by nerevarine
Post by malautomedonte on Apr 21, 2020 20:41:43 GMT 1
Oh yes I just saw your thread about it, I thought I was the only one having it. It's annoying but could be worse. Maybe they'll sort it out with the new release.
Regarding the LOD, I read one of your posts on Reddit about those two values, after some testing I wasn't having great results so I decided to keep them disabled. Probably they didn't have the time to implement a lot of stuff which in the end stayed forever in an embryonal state. What we see in Oblivion's INI are the remains. The way this engine works, loading and unloading cells the whole time, is archaic to say the least.
Post by fr33ksh0w2012 on May 12, 2020 19:51:21 GMT 1
Yes, Another way to cast shadows is inverted godrays with black texturing would look more realistic (unless ShadeMe has already done that) and simulate the true dynamic soft shadowing, If possible meaning shadows from rib cages e.c.t.
If it cannot be done it cannot be done and I will not push my luck.
like dual god rays one normal one inverted (reversed)
Light source ↓ Godray inverted with black texturing (reverse projecting) ↓ object with holes ↓ Black ray cast through object solid eg Rib cage bones
Hope I am making sense, I have physical brain damage 5% all the way through and a shattered skull which didn't heal up very good, Which makes me bad at explaining things properly and affected my intellect severely negatively.
If you could try this thing out and it adds value to the reloaded mod I would be grateful
It would in theory cut down some rendering, rendering them as an inverted light source through a solid and as a side effect dynamic "real time" soft shadows as a result.