This is a last resort, let me explain everything in some detail.
A while back, I got gifted oblivion on steam coz I really wanted to play it again... And I went to mod it, and somehow reached this medium where it wouldn't crash at all, 6+ hours straight WITH steam overlay on. Low fps but no crashes, but then I touched something (that I do not recall) and I broke everything, I gave up and now returned to trying it... I tried vanilla, crashes after 3 hours, I tried vanilla WITH OR , crashes after 3 hours, I tried heavily modded, crashes after 3 hours (FCOM , enboost, NVAC, necromancy mods etc...)
I'm at the end of my rope, I uninstalled oblivion in a fit of frustration earlier, I just want to know if there's something I should be doing... I defragged the folder that contains oblivion, I cleaned the files that boss told me to clean, I followed every guide to every single letter I came across, I tried stutter remover heap algorithms, like all of them, I've tried everything, and I cannot make it past the 3 hour mark without it crashing, and it's really disheartening.
Is there anything to be done? (I am on windows 10 fall creators crapdate)
Or am I just doomed to 3 hours of fun and then an unsatisfying crash when I'm finally immersing myself? I just don't know anymore... I'm cursed, for sure.
It sounds like a memory leak of some kind, or maybe you're just hitting a crashing script command. If you're playing 3 hours crash-free, you're doing pretty well. I'd just save and relaunch at 2.8 hours or so.
Oh, I thought... I saw some people claim to play with over 200 mods and no crashes, so I thought I was doing something wrong... but that's a good thing? I guess there's no fix for a crash like this, then?
Yeah, you set the LAA flag, didn't you? That was going to be my recommendation. If OBSE won't launch, revert any changes you made to DLLs; they are not necessary. Apply the Large Address Aware (LAA) tweak to the oblivion.exe only. OBSE is coded to recognize the hash of the LAA-enabled exe and will launch fine.
I didn't manually change any DLL's though, I applied the LAA to the exe, and OBSE still refuses to launch, it'll launch fine with the overlay, which I don't want, but the past 3 installs it launched fine without overlay, which confuses me. But now, it refuses to initialize without overlay.
On my Windows 10 EVERYTHING runs as administrator. UAC is completely disabled and every executable is run as admin. There is a setting in the registry to force that. I do not want to lose my time in policies or "stupid" permissions